Obesity is a national epidemic. With numbers like three quarters of men and two thirds of women being obese, it’s staggering actually. Basically 40-percent of the country is obese. How do we change it?
We’ve got plenty of diet plan options out there. Some come, some go, and some stay around; but is one better than the other? It all depends on the person. What we eat, however , shouldn’t be the only focus. Who we have around us should be.
A new report by the U.S. Preventive Services Taskforce shows that having a system of regular support in place is the key to dieting success. The taskforce looked at about 100 weight loss programs and discovered what you eat or how you exercise didn’t matter. What mattered are the face-to-face meetings keeping you on track.
- It’s pretty obvious. When you focus (or are made to focus) your behaviors start to change and the pounds come off. Slow and steady wins the race in this case, too. Longer programs result in better progress.
Source: Market Watch
Saying “thank you” is sometimes taken for granted, but it’s more than just good manners… it’s gratitude. There are many ways to express your gratitude without actually saying “thank you.” PopSugar staffer are walking the walk and have come up with some great ways to show thanks every day of the holiday season. Here are some gems from their list.
- Write heartfelt notes
- Surprise someone with a treat
- Send small gifts
- Use a gratitude calendar
- Put family first
- Donate to a good cause
- Be a good listener
Black Friday means lots of shopping deals, but the sales have stretched from a single day of bargains into a month-long marathon, so it can be hard to keep up with all the offers out there. Luckily, there are a few tips and tricks that help do some of the behind-the-scenes work for you, so you can score the best Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals around.
- Find and keep track of the deals you want - Set up a Google Alert help you get all the deals on products you want. Just head here and in the “create an alert about” bar, type in a company name or something specific like “Black Friday iPad sale.” Then from the “show options” drop down you can make selections about the results you get.
- Compare store prices - It can be overwhelming trying to compare prices on Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals because so many stores offer them, so the free browser extension PriceBlink can help. It scans more than 4,000 retailers for the best deals on the product you want, and it shows you comparisons, along with shipping costs, so you can make an informed purchase.
- Get the best promo code - Searching for promotion codes to use at checkout is a lot easier with the RetailMeNot Genie. Just download the extension in Chrome and start shopping. When you’re ready to check out, the Genie finds the best coupon code to save you the most.
- Save space in your inbox - Getting 20 emails a day about all the latest sales means you may need to clean up your inbox, which is a task most of us dread. But creating an account with Me lets you unsubscribe in one convenient spot and it’ll even let you condense all your shopping emails into one daily email and can categorize your subscriptions too.
While we try to surround ourselves with kind, caring, drama-free folks, we can’t avoid negative people entirely. And when we are forced to spend time with Debbie Downer-types, like at family holiday gatherings, knowing how to deal with them can make all the difference.
Have you heard of the “gray rock method?” It’s an easy way to handle tough personalities, from narcissistic coworkers to energy vampire cousins, and it was developed by psychologist Nadene van der Linden. Basically, it’s a way to keep toxic people from escalating the situation and stressing you out, which they love to do. And all you have to do is act as uninteresting and unengaged as possible, being a boring “gray rock” and they’ll move on to a more exciting target.
Van der Linden explains, “The best chance we’ve got of a healthy outcome with a toxic person is changing our response to them.” So don’t tell them about your new promotion or your mother-in-law’s visit, instead channel the most boring person you’ve ever met, speak in a neutral voice, and give short, generic answers. Be as blah as you can and bore the toxic person away.
Because draining, difficult people crave excitement and drama, if you don’t give them any, they have nothing to spin and lose interest. Subtlety is key, but if it means protecting your time and energy, you can do it.
Build-A-Bear Workshops can get pretty crowded sometimes, but now parents and grandparents will have more ways to give their kiddos a chance to create cuddly things because the company is adding locations. But these aren’t just more stores in malls, they’re putting Build-A-Bear Workshops inside select Walmart stores, just in time for the holidays.
They’re starting with six Build-A-Bears in Walmart stores as part of a pilot program and they’ll have the majority of the stuffed animals that are available in the standalone stores. But the Walmart ones will also include a new line called Condo Cubs, which are smaller versions of bears, cats, rabbits, and dogs. And the best part? Those little cuties start at $10. That’s welcome news to the grown-ups who know how pricey a trip to Build-A-Bear can get. Unfortunately, they're not going to be available in Northwest Arkansas...yet.