CareerBuilder has just come out with their list of the best jobs for workers looking to get ahead. The list looks at jobs that are projected to grow over the next five years, and also offer good learning opportunities. Those jobs include:
- Computer User Support Specialist – Average hourly earnings $25.53
- Human Resource Specialist –Average hourly earnings $31.20
- Administrative Assistant - Average hourly earnings $17.38
- Customer Service Representatives –Average hourly earnings $16.91
- Medical Assistant – Average hourly earnings $15.79
- Retail Salesperson -Average hourly earnings $13.07
- Construction Laborer –Average hourly earnings $18.22
- Teacher Assistant –Average hourly earnings $13.04
Source: Market Watch
Mother & Baby just came out with their predictions for baby naming trends in 2018. Girl names that end in “A” like Ella or Amelia, are expected to be popular next year, while boy names that begin with an “R” or Th,” like Reggie or Theo, will also be a top trend.Another big trend will be parents giving kids gender neutral names, like Andy, Max, Alex and Charlie.
Top Ten Girls Names for 2018
Top Ten Boy Names For 2018
Source: Mother & Baby
The new Pheramor dating app, which launches in February, seeks to match potential mates based on their DNA. The app matches singles based on a cheek swab, which determines percentage of compatibility based on 11 genes that scientists have linked with attraction. The creators insist they aren’t looking at any other info in your DNA except those attraction genes, and after the testing is done, the sample will be destroyed.
Source: Houston Chronicle
When the clock strikes midnight on December 31 couples everywhere ring in the new year with a smooch. But have you ever wondered why people kiss on New Year’s Eve? Turns out, we can thank a lot of ancient cultures for the tradition.
The ancient Romans welcomed the winter soltice with a huge celebration that included a boozy marathon party and group intimacy and some believe the New Year’s Eve kiss tradition became a tamer version of this.
There’s also another old superstition that says the way you ring in the new year dictates how the rest of the year will go, and according to English and Germanic folklore, kissing your true love then means good things for your relationship in the coming year.
In Europe there used to be masked balls held to celebrate the end of the year and partygoers would take their masks off at midnight and grab the first person they saw and kiss them. Apparently, the masks represented evil spirits and planting one on their new partner helped cleanse them of the previous year’s bad vibes.
And in Scotland, they’ve been throwing a raucous New Year’s Eve celebration called Hogmanay since the days of Viking invasions in the 8th and 9th centuries. And one thing this party is known for is kissing and lots of it - both strangers and familiar faces, no one’s off limits.
Source: Women's Health
Now that the craziness of Christmas has settled down a little, it’s time to think about New Year’s resolutions again. We’re full of good intentions when we vow to quit sugar or give up our Diet Coke habit, but sometimes it’s better to start small. So here are some little New Year’s resolutions that even the busiest moms will have time for, because we know how hectic life can be.
- Take a minute to breathe when you feel overwhelmed - Because you’d be amazed how much a few deep breaths can help when you’re running on no sleep or patience.
- Make more time for self-care - Prioritize yourself this year! Give yourself the hour you need to have coffee with a friend or go to that yoga class because we all need me-time.
- Find small ways to cut back on spending - Save for that much-needed vacation by doing little things like cooking at home instead of ordering takeout once a week.
- Start saying no to things you don't want to do - RSVP “no” more this year.
- Put down your phone - Sure, you might miss the perfect photo for the ‘gram, but being present without your phone is much more important to your kids.
- Don't sweat the small stuff - Nothing terrible is going to happen if you leave some dirty dishes in the sink while you relax with a cup of tea and a good book for half an hour.
- Don't be so hard on yourself - Being a parent is demanding and the world is a tough place sometimes, so be nice to yourself. And remember, you’re doing great, mama.