A new study finds that regularly leaving the house could be the key to longevity for older people. After studying folks in their 70s, 80s and 90s, researchers say that for all the age groups, those who leave the house frequently are more likely to live to the next age group. They took into account mobility difficulties, so researchers suggest interacting with the world outside is what’s helping those people live longer.
Christmas may be over but Starbucks is treating us to a new gift, in the form of three new winter drinks. The coffee giant has just added the all-new Black and White Mocha Collection to their menu for the winter, which includes:
- Black and White Mocha - Starbucks' signature espresso roast poured over a "silky swirl of white chocolate and dark mocha,” combined with steamed milk and topped with whipped cream and chocolate "sequins” (a.k.a. chocolate shavings).
- Black and White Hot Cocoa - Dark mocha sauce, white chocolate mocha sauce, and steamed milk, topped with whipped cream and chocolate sequins
- Black and White Frappuccino – A frozen version of the Hot Cocoa
With the weather dipping to freezing temperatures in some places the two hot beverages sound like the perfect solution to keep you warm and toasty, but you may want to hurry out and get them. The plan is for them to be available until January 8th, or until supplies last.
For the fourth year in a row, the Netflix is offering up New Year’s Eve countdowns so parents can ring in the New Year early with their kids. This year’s countdown features beloved characters from nine different shows, including “Trollhunters,” “All Hail King Julien,” “Skylanders Academy,” “Puffin Rock,” and more. Judging from past years, the peak time parents and kids ring in the New Year is 8 pm local time
Source: Huffington Post
Remember when New Year’s Eve was one of your favorite days of the year? As much fun as that mega party used to be, once you become a parent, ringing in the New Year doesn’t look like it used to. Sure, it can be a fun celebration for the whole family, but the key is to keep your expectations low.
Expectation: That you lovingly explain to your little ones that at midnight it stops being 2017 and becomes 2018.
- Reality: Your kids are too busy fighting over toys to care about the magical changing of the year.
Expectation: The kids will make their own little New Year’s resolutions.
- Reality: Their resolution is to torture their little brother. #parenting fail.
Expectation: The kids will have so much fun ringing in the New Year with the 2018 glasses and party favors.
- Reality: You throw away the NYE kazoo at 8 p.m. because you already can’t stand listening to it.
Expectation: The whole family will stay up till midnight! We’ll make popcorn and watch the fireworks!
- Reality: Your kids are so exhausted by 11 they say the popcorn is “too popped” and you still have to keep them up for another hour because they’re crying over the fear they’ll miss the fireworks.
Expectation: You feel confident that you can handle the kids’ crankiness in order to celebrate this special time as a family.
- Reality: You’re yawning by 8:30 as the kids dance, excited that they get to stay up late, so you have to make coffee to force yourself to stay up to midnight.
Expectation: Since the family was up until 12:30 a.m., you’re sure they’ll sleep until noon tomorrow.
- Reality: Small children never sleep that late unless they’re too sick to move. So your kids will be up at 6:30, just like always. And they’ll be extra grumpy this afternoon from being sleep deprived, so you can look forward to that. Happy New Year!
Source: The Stir
Some of us are comfortable with our natural hair color, even when it starts to grow in gray. But for others, those silvery strands are not welcome and they’ll run to the salon to get them covered as soon as they peek out. For most people, gray hair is just one of those things that will happen eventually, but if you’re dreading the arrival of that day, here are a few things you can do to help prevent gray hair from happening in the first place.
Make sure you're getting enough vitamin D - A studyfound that kids who experienced premature hair graying had low levels of vitamin D. It’s just one of the dietary deficiencies that can contribute to graying hair, according to science.
Get enough B12 too - Another study found that low levels of vitamin B12 can be associated with graying hair.
Avoid too much stress - As if you need another reason to manage your stress levels, experts warn that stress could be a possible cause of premature gray hair. They say chronic stress can lead to inflammation, which could turn off the melanin-producing cells in our scalp and shorten our hair growth cycles, which can lead to gray hair arriving early.
Don't smoke - You know how smoking can speed up aging the skin of smokers? Well, extensive research shows smoking is linked to premature graying in hair, so it can accelerate aging in both.
Schedule yearly checkups - Some illnesses, like autoimmune and thyroid disorders can cause premature gray hair, so having annual checkups with your doctor is important.
Tired of searching your closet for something to wear and coming up frustrated? If your wardrobe is full of pilled sweaters, stretched-out jeans, and basic footwear, maybe it just needs a little refresh. With 2018 right around the corner, here are a few key clothing items you can add to your collection to elevate your ensembles and start the New Year in style.
- A unique dress - It’s been a long holiday season and you’ve probably worn all your little black dresses and statement dresses a few times each. So treat yourself to a stunning new number that’ll make you look forward to getting dressed and socializing again.
- A classic pump in a different color - You probably already own a few pair of pumps in classic colors, so breathe some life into your shoe collection with the addition of a pair in an unusual color. You’ll be able to wear them with your favorite trousers and your trusty jeans and T-shirt combo.
- A sharp blazer - Something perfectly tailored that makes you feel like the girl boss you are the moment you slip it on.
- A fun pair of jeans - If your distressed denim is looking a little too worn these days, start 2018 with a fresh new pair of jeans.
- A new cozy sweater - Winter just started, so you still have months to wear a new chunky knit. It’ll make you feel both polished and cozy on your lazy days and it doesn’t get much better than that!
Source: The Zoe Report