This years supermoon will be closer than usual at only 16,500 miles away and will appear 7% bigger and 16% brighter than your average full moon! You can check it out this Sunday, December 3rd and for the best viewing head outside right after moonrise and/or before sunrise.
No special glasses are required for enjoying the supermoon, unlike an eclipse, and if you miss it, you’ll still be able to enjoy it the rest of the week – it just won’t be a full moon version.
You can also get an original shot of the moon with your smartphone camera, just tap on the moon on the screen and hold your finger in place to lock the camera’s focus. Then adjust the exposure slider that appears next to your finger to get the right balance of light for your shot.
- One thing to keep in mind according to photographer, Bill Ingalls is to not “make the mistake of photographing the moon by itself with no reference to anything,” because “everyone will get that shot.”
Source: Quartz Media
Working in the medical profession is still a field that can provide job security and constant salary growth, according to a new report put out by, “SmartAsset,” which used data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics to find the jobs where pay is increasing the fastest.
While the study shows an advance degree in the medical industry may be a wise decision for salary stability, there are some other things to consider, like student loan debt. “It is important to weigh the potential benefit of having the extra education against how much more you stand to earn with the degree to determine the return on investment (ROI),” says A.J. Smith, vice president of financial education for, “SmartAsset.”
However, on the other side of the spectrum some salaries are actually shrinking in occupations with lower demand, including fishers, postal clerks and translators, as automation takes over some of those jobs.
So which jobs made the list for best salary increases? Check out the list below:
Jobs Experiencing The Most Income Growth
- Genetic Counselors
- Family and General Practitioners
- Compensation and Benefits Manager
- Airline Pilots, Copilots, and Flight Engineers
- Postsecondary Health Specialties Teachers
- Personal Financial Advisers
And the five jobs with the quickest shrinking salaries are:
- Tank car, truck, and ship loaders
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
- Mathematical Technicians
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
Using the results of a personality evaluation completed by 1.6-million Americans an international team of researchers published the results of a study indicating people who hail from warmer, more pleasant areas of the United States are more likely to be in a good mood, more of the time, than their counterparts living in unpredictable, cold weather areas.
The study took into consideration the Big Five personality characteristics:
- emotional stability,
- extraversion, and openness to experience,
- the time an individual grew up in a more pleasant climate.
And the temperature remained a constant predictor of how these traits would develop. Even after controlling things like age, gender, economic status, and other things that may affect the development of one's general outlook.
As researchers put it, “Clement (that is, mild) temperatures encourage individuals to explore the outside environment, where both social interactions and new experiences abound; by contrast, when the ambient temperature is either too hot or too cold, individuals are less likely to go outside (for example, to meet up with friends, or to try new activities).”
There’s definitely a lesson on where to plan your next move in there!
This time of year we’re running around even more than usual and trying to jingle all the way. All as much fun as it can be, being so busy can take a toll on your relationship and that’s not how you want to spend the holidays. So here are a few ways to stay connected to your partner in December in the midst of decking the halls, hosting guests, and holiday shopping.
- Make your shopping list, then divide and conquer - Think of everyone you need a present for, from the doorman to your office Secret Santa to your cat sitter, and make a master spreadsheet. After you include friends, family, and all those extra gifts you need, it seems like a huge task, but if you split up the duties with your S.O., it’s really not so bad.
- Start a new tradition and ditch one obligation - The holidays are what you make of them and you don’t have to celebrate yours the way everyone on TV or social media does. If you guys like sipping mulled cider while wearing Christmas sweaters and decorating the tree, have fun and live it up. But if you’d rather go out for Indian food and binge watch “The Walking Dead” on Christmas Eve, that’s totally cool, too! Forget the obligations and enjoy doing what you like together.
- Schedule a night on the couch alone - Having a full social calendar this month means you won’t have much time for your one and only, so take a night at home together to relax and reconnect. You won’t regret missing your cat sitter’s cousin’s Christmas cocktail party to do it.
When you’re trying to treat yourself without going overboard, you might not think of heading to Dunkin’ Donuts. But there are plenty of nutritionist-approved menu items to order on your next coffee run.
- Hot coffee - You can’t go wrong with a classic. It doesn’t have all the sugar in flavored syrups and toppings and coffee has virtually no calories.
- Turkey Sausage Flatbread - Research says you should try to eat about 25 to 30 grams of protein for breakfast and this one has 26, so it’s a good choice. It does have a high salt content, so make sure you drink plenty of water with it.
- Iced and Hot Tea - Their unsweetened green, black, or fruit teas are all good options.
- Egg and Cheese English Muffin - With just 300 calories, 13 grams of protein, and two grams of sugar, this is a pretty healthy choice.
- Cold Brew Coffee - There’s nothing added to this, so you can customize it with milk, flavored shots that don’t add sugar, and if you prefer yours sweet, add a swirl of flavored syrup to sweeten it up.
- Egg and Cheese Wake-Up Wraps - These are so small, you get to enjoy two and still be on the healthy side. The wraps are 180 calories of heart-healthy fats and protein, so they should keep you full and give you energy.
- Veggie Egg White Flatbread - It’s got “moderate fat,” with protein and even some veggies mixed in, so you know it’s got to be a good-for-you pick.
- Americano - This espresso drink gives you the caffeine kick you’re looking for without all the sugar in other coffee drinks.
- Ham, Egg and Cheese English Muffin - With seven grams of fiber and a good balance of protein, fat, and carbs, this is a healthy order.
- Glazed donut - Even this old school favorite makes the list. If you want something sweet, this is your best bet with 12 grams of sugar and 260 calories. But you have to stop at one.