While disasters like Hurricane Harvey bring out the best in people, it also brings out crooks and scammers who dupe people into thinking they are donating to a real charitable organization. Double check an organization’s website, especially if the site’s name is similar but not the same as a reputable organization. Never give money through a link in an email, always go directly to a site, and never donate to someone demanding cash or a wire transfer.
Source: USA Today
Zoiey Smale was thrilled when she was crowned Miss UK in the United Kingdom round of the Miss United Continents pageant in June. With that win, she was qualified to compete in the international pageant in Ecuador. But when contest organizers talked to her about moving forward in the contest, they told her if she wanted a shot at winning, she’d have to “lose as much weight as possible.”
Of course, the comments hurt Smale and made her feel badly about herself. She told her director that she didn’t think someone should say that to girls and that it was awful, horrible and wrong, explaining that she didn’t think someone had to be stick thin to be a good role model. And then she gave back her crown and forfeited her place in the international contest.
“Some of you may think this is cowardly, however I don’t think it is the right to have my face representing a pageant ethos I do not believe in,” Smale writes in a Facebook post. “I will be handing back my crown and wish the new title holder the very best of luck.”
Since her announcement, Smales has received tons of support on social media and she says reading other people’s personal experiences shows her that she’s not alone. We’re glad she didn’t let someone else’s idea of beauty change hers. What a great example she’s setting!
Steak n’ Shake has just introduced what they are calling breakfast milkshakes, turning cereal into a to go breakfast. Flavors include Kellogg's Frosted Flakes Milkshake, Kellogg's Coca Krispies Milkshake, Kellogg's Honey Smacks Milkshake, Cinnamon Crunch Milkshake and Caramel Frappe Milkshake. They will be available to customers all day and come topped with whipped cream and a cherry!
Source: Yahoo Finance
Summer is (unofficially) coming to end. What better way to celebrate than with a good TV marathon? AMC has The Walking Dead, Freeform is running Harry Potter and TNT has The Expendables...Click the link, check your guide or flip the channels to find more!
Source: Entertainment Weekly
According to the American Pregnancy Association, nestingis “the overwhelming desire to get your home ready for your baby.” And anyone who’s been through it would probably agree that’s putting it mildly. Nesting can manifest itself in all kinds of different ways for expecting moms and it can push them to do things they’d never normally do. Here are a few examples of the weird ways the nesting instinct affected real mamas.
- Monopoly madwoman - Mom-to-be Julie B says she reorganized all the board games before her baby was born, she stacked up all the cards and even rubber banded them together.
- DIY diva - While pregnant with twins, Denise F. says she insisted on doing everything herself, including making two crib sets by hand, sewing curtains, and organizing the whole closet by size.
- On the move - When Andy H.’s wife was expecting, she’d rearrange the furniture in every room, every month. But she assured him she moved all that furniture slowly.
- Screen queen - Christine C. needed to have her screen door rescreened before her bundle of joy arrived. When her hubby couldn’t figure it out, she did it herself when she was 37 weeks along.
- Jewelry madness - Jewelry cleaning, polishing, and organizing became an obsession for Bailey G, she even did her mom’s after she finished all of her own.
- Window maniac - Sarah S. says she couldn’t stand seeing things on her windows during all three of her pregnancies, so she was a window-washing maniac.
- Maid for a day - And an anonymous mama admits she shampooed the public hallway of her apartment building when she was expecting. She also washed the walls, all 14 other doors on her floor, and the inside of the elevator!
Source: The Stir