The much-talked about solar eclipse is happening today. Pizza Hut has shared a tutorial on how to turn a pizza box into a pinhole projector to watch it safely. You can really turn any two pieces of cardboard into a projector.
Source: Fox News
For the first time in 99 years, a total solar eclipse will be visible within a band across the U.S. today and people are understandably excited. But if you plan to view the event with squirmy little kids, it’s important to follow these safety tips to protect everyone.
- Just like any other day, staring at the sun is a bad idea - So the first step should be putting on a pair of safety glasses. And make sure they’re the real deal. There are lots of knock-offs out there, so check your solar-filtering glasses to make sure they aren’t fakes. Also check them for scratches and scuffs, because those can affect their ability to protect your eyes.
- Wear your safety glasses the entire time you’re watching the eclipse - The only time you are safe to take off the protective glasses is if you’re in the line of totality at the brief moment the moon fully blocks the sun. Then quickly put them right back on to finish watching. Everyone else with only a partial view should never take them off.
Here are some other safety tips from NASA:
- After watching the eclipse, turn away from the sun before taking off your glasses, don’t remove them while facing the sun.
- Don’t look at the eclipse through unfiltered lenses, including cameras or telescopes.
- If you wear glasses, keep them on and wear the eclipse glasses on top of them.
- Supervise kids the entire time with their safety solar glasses.
Source: The Stir
A recent breakdown reveals the most popular items sold at Walmart in each state. In New Jersey, dumbbells are the most purchased item, while folks in Massachusetts buy a lot of tennis balls and folks in Tennessee purchase traffic cones. When it comes to food, folks in Nevada buy the most canned pumpkin, while residents of Oregon buy a lot of Chex Mix and those in South Dakota love lemon cake. Click here for a complete list!
Source: Business Insider
This year, Ben and Jerry’s has been making fans happy with their new delivery option, their new vegan varieties, and their new pint slices. And now they’ve come out with another ice cream concept we’re so excited to get our spoons in: “topped” ice cream pints.
The new topped pints have a layer of “spoonable chocolate or white chocolate fondant” on top and so far they come in Salted Caramel Brownie, Strawberry Swirled, and Chocolate Caramel Cookie Dough flavors. The Strawberry Swirled sounds amazing - it has strawberry and marshmallow sauces, crunchy shortbread cookie pieces, milk nuggets, and a layer of white chocolate fondant. Is your mouth watering yet?
The only downside to the topped pints is that we can’t find them on shelves in supermarket’s freezer section right now. Ben and Jerry’s is testing their new treats in Europe and the U.K. for now, so we’re going to have to wait.
But there’s a good chance we’ll get them here in the U.S. eventually. Ben and Jerry’s rolled out their Core flavors the same way and we had to wait two years before they came stateside. But these topped pints sound like they’ll be worth the wait.
We’re never without a Burt's Bees lip balm in our bag, that’s why we’re really excited about the company’s new makeup line. Like their other products, Burt’s Bees new line is all-natural and budget friendly and they also were developed with the help of celebrity makeup artist Toby Fleischman.
Fleischman says one of her favorite new products is the high-coverage foundation, called “Goodness Glows. She says it’s unique and “lives in that luminous sweet spot: not too matte, not too dewy, either.” Plus it retails for $17 a bottle, so the price is right!
Burt’s Bees makeup line will also include a Mattifying Powder Foundation, blush, and eye shadow trio palettes made with bamboo, honey, and vitamin E. There’s also a Nourishing Mascara, Nourishing Eyeliner Pencil ($10), and an Eyebrow Pencil, as well as a new Glossy Lipstick. Burt’s Bees has made lipstick before, but this one is formulated with moringa oil, mimosa flower wax and raspberry oil to make it ultra-smooth.
These products aren’t on shelves at Target or CVS just yet, but the official launch is set for September, and that’s just right around the corner. For now, we can check out the whole line of products on the Burt’s Bees website and start making our wish list.