It’s no secret that being a mom isn’t easy, but way too many mothers just don’t give themselves enough of a break when it comes to how they’re doing. And their not imagining things. A new Dove poll, released in conjunction with the launch of their new Baby Dove product line, finds that 89% of mothers feel the pressure to be perfect, with 72% questioning whether they are doing a good enough job.
Part of the reason new moms feel inadequate is because of the message they are seeing in the media.
- In fact, 95% of new moms say motherhood is different than how it’s portrayed in the media. Many see the media portraying the “perfect mom” as one who is completely together and puts herself second.
- Although 84% of people say that stereotype doesn’t exist. What’s more, only 26% of new moms think that “perfect mom” ideal displayed in the media is achievable.
And a lot of mothers, especially Millennial moms, aren’t necessarily willing to give up everything for their babies. The survey finds that in addition to loving their children:
- 94% of moms say they love things like their careers, relationships and travel as well
- 80% of moms don’t believe they have to give up their passions to be a good parent
- 94% say they provide better care for their children when they take also care of themselves.